Monday, January 25, 2010

Crap rolls down hill

That statement my be obvious to most, but then we have already established that I am not a rocket scientist.

More weather delays, so I decided to go ahead and assemble all of the under slab plumbing in the shop and install it as one piece. What became obvious very quickly was the precision required. I had exact measurements in 3 axis where all of the piping needed to be. However, as I began assembling it hit me that I might have a small amount of play where the toilet and sinks were concerned, but the shower drain had to be spot on. It took me 3 days. I was being very cautious, as the saying goes...”measure twice, cut once.” However, I found myself getting discombobulated in my mind very easily while trying to cut, and figure angles, and whatnot.

I finally got everything cut and fitted, with only 4 trips to Lowe’s (and only wasting two joints. Not bad for a total novice). I have to say I was very proud of myself...OK, yes I realize a plumber could have probably done the whole thing in 10 minutes. But hey, the point was to do it myself, and I guarantee it would have cost more than the $21 of pipe and fittings if a pro had done it.

So I get to the building site, trying to beat the rain (which was due at noon), and as I am ready to install the plumbing I notice that the p-trap for my shower drain was installed below the 3-inch sewage pipe.

Now, for those of you out there who say, “so what?”...crap rolls down hill. So had I installed it as is, that p-trap would have filled up with crap, literally, and I would have been up crap creek.

SO...back to the truck, I cut the section off to move the p-trap, of course not having the requisite parts. Off to Lowe’s again (trip #5), and when I return to the site...the bottom falls out AGAIN! Now I know how Noah felt.

So I’m waiting for dry weather again...

No comments:

Post a Comment