Sunday, January 10, 2010

Filling in the mental gaps

Now that the design generalities were settled, there were many things I needed to consider. Specifically what types of technology was I going to implement in this design, and how is the best methods to implement them. As I said up front, I am not a builder. However, I know some things, as most people would classify me as “handy.” Nothing related to the building process seemed like rocket science, no offense to any contractors out there. I’m no rocket scientist myself, though I am related to one.

So I began a process of trying to get a handle on some areas of construction science I would classify myself as “weak” in...namely concrete work, plumbing, and to a lesser degree, electrical. After hitting libraries and bookstores, I found a series a books by Tauton Press that seemed to speak to me. I bought books on concrete, plumbing, electrical, and drywall.

Remember, though, one goal of the whole project is low cost, so borrow when you can, and when you can’t shop aggressively.

No comments:

Post a Comment