Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A solid footing

WOOHOO! We have dug our footing. After months of weather delays, road building, and other issues we have finally broken ground. We have settled on a monolithic slab.

After reading the concrete book, I had specific ideas of how a slab is to be properly done. The book, Foundations and Concrete Work (For Pros By Pros), is written from the perspective of a foundation repair expert. In other words, this guy goes in and fixes what other concrete people do incorrectly, years after they have been paid and left. Now from the reviews, not everyone loved the book, but I found several things in it that were helpful to me...since I have never dealt with concrete at all.

What I quickly realized, and what you will probably run into as well, is that doing something the right way may not always be the common way.
One of the first comments I received was “That’s overkill” in regards to my rebar design. However, according to the concrete book, rebar should be overlapped at every corner, stair or change in direction. That is all I did. By the way, I am VERY stoked about how my slab will come together (but more on that later).

Suffice to say, I am glad to be making some progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment